Like a theatre of life, the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution presents thousands of animal specimens. True to life, they tell the amazing story of evolution - a story in three acts, played out in a majestic setting.
A Gallery in three acts
Act I, the first part of the permanent exhibition, is performed on the ground floor and first floor of the central nave in the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution. Here, you come face-to-face with the wide variety of animal species which populate the sea and land environments.
Act II relates two adventures: the journey of living organisms evolving over the course of Earth’s history and the journey of the human spirit trying to understand its origins through the process of life.
On the second floor balcony of the nave, Act III shows how human activities have changed the natural environment, sometimes irreversibly.
Plan your visit
The trail and display features in the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution are fully accessible to wheelchair users and visitors who have difficulty moving around.
Benches (without backs and armrests) are placed at regular intervals in the exhibition areas.
There are accessible lifts to all floors.
Access to the temporary exhibition on the lower ground floor from the ground floor is by private lift: please go to the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution reception desk.
Please note: the cash desks have not yet been upgraded to comply with standards.
Individual visitors and families: there is not a visitors’ car park at the Jardin des Plantes, but there are several car parks in the surrounding area:
- Patriarches car park: 4, Place Bernard Halpern - Paris 5th arrondissement (a 10 minute walk from the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution)
- Quai d’Austerlitz car park: 29, quai d’Austerlitz - Paris 13th arrondissement (a 20 minute walk from the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution)
- Austerlitz Verrière car park: 85, quai d’Austerlitz - Paris 13th arrondissement >>Currently closed due to works
Groups: parking allowed by request only for a maximum of two PRM vehicles on the Jardin des Plantes premises. Requests must be made no later than 48 hours before the date of your visit to email@example.com
Bus: Lines with the nearest stop: 67, 89 (Buffon - La Mosquée stop) – Other lines: 24, 57, 61, 63, and 91
Batobus: Jardin des Plantes stop
Metro, RER: line 5 Austerlitz – line 7 Censier Daubenton – line 10 Jussieu or Austerlitz - RER C Gare d’Austerlitz
SNCF train station: Gare d’Austerlitz and Gare de Lyon
Transport accessibility information: infomobi.com
There is level access to the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution on a smooth concrete forecourt. Two entrances can be used to access the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution:
- 36, rue Geoffroy Saint Hilaire: please note there is a small projection of less than 2 cm at the street entrance gate towards the forecourt. The pavement runs almost continuously up to this entrance from the Jussieu metro (one road to cross - Rue Cuvier). The "Buffon, la Mosquée" bus stop is also very near this entrance.
- through the Jardin des Plantes (download a PDF version of the Jardin des Plantes map at the bottom of the page)
The entrance doors are heavy to open, but a security guard is always on hand inside to help you if need be (the doors have glass in them so the guard can see the visitors outside).
When very busy, priority entrance (indicated by a sign) to the right of the main entrance (if you have booked for a tour, for example).
Reception staff are available upon your arrival. The reception desk is opposite the entrance.
Please note: the top part of the reception desk is slightly higher than the regulatory requirements.
Toilets on every floor in the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution.
Ground floor toilets can be used without needing to buy a ticket.
Food and drink
Cafeteria on the first floor of the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution (access with admission ticket), with a view of the land animals.
Please note: the cash desk at the cafeteria is not a suitable height (112 cm high). Chairs with backs and no armrests.
Several food stands selling sandwiches, drinks and sweets are dotted around the Jardin.
There are several picnic areas with tables and chairs available for visitors.
It is possible to have a picnic on the lawn next to the Grandes Serres at the Jardin des Plantes (visitors are not allowed on the other lawns).
Opening times and days
Every day from 10am to 6pm, except 25 December, 1st January, Tuesdays and 1st May
Last admission 45 minutes before closing.
Events and activities – Prices
Activities for individual visitors and families
To find out the activities available for everyone, download the Jardin des Plantes’s quarterly brochure at the bottom of the page.
Tickets and reservations for individual visitors and families on self-guided tours
Free admission for disabled visitors coming for an unaccompanied tour (without a guide) and for a companion, upon presentation of proof (disability or priority card).
Any additional companions buy their tickets at the current price.
Booking not required for unaccompanied tours.
Tickets and reservations for individual visitors and families for activities with a guide
Prices for the activities available for everyone vary depending on the type of activity.
To find out what they are, download the Jardin des Plantes’s quarterly brochure at the bottom of the page.
Educational activities for groups
Guided tours and workshops are available for groups of physically handicapped visitors, by reservation. Activity themes and useful information can be downloaded from the bottom of the page.
Tickets and reservations for pre-arranged groups on self-guided tours
Reservation required – Reservations service – firstname.lastname@example.org
Reservations for permanent Galleries and temporary exhibitions:
- Less than 10 participants: No reservation required*
- More than 10 participants: Reservation required – €9 / group
*A headed letter from your institution requesting free admission for a disabled group must be presented at the ticket booth.
Tickets and reservations for pre-arranged groups on guided tours or for workshops
Reservation required – Reservations service – email@example.com
Less than 10 participants:
- Duration 1 hour: €7.60 /participant
- Duration 1 hr 30 mins: €10.10 /participant
10 participants or more:
- Duration 1 hour: €76 /group
- Duration 1 hr 30 mins: €101 /group
- Duration 2 hours: €136 /group
Documents for download
- Programme quadrimestriel du Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 12.38 MB)
- Plan d'accès du Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 773.42 KB)
- Plan intérieur de la Grande Galerie de l'Évolution (in French only) (pdf, 688.31 KB)
- Demande d'autorisation d'accès d'un véhicule dans le Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (doc, 37.5 KB)
- Plan d'accès d'un véhicule dans le Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 2.75 MB)