The Galerie des Enfants, a family or group experience, accessible to everyone.
The Galerie des Enfants is a permanent exhibition for children aged between 6 and 11 and features original specimens, fun displays to handle and scientific information. It addresses biodiversity and sustainable development through four iconic areas (the city, the river, the tropical forest and the Earth) laid out on two levels.
Special attention has been paid to disabled children here, which means much of the trail is accessible to everyone. A sensory trail allows visually-impaired children to understand the different themes, through sculptures of animals and fun and educational contoured exhibits accompanied with Braille. All the writing in the exhibition is in large print. A set of audiovisual aids is subtitled in writing and translated into the French sign language for children who are deaf or hard of hearing. The exhibition is accessible to mentally handicapped children, thanks to its practical, interactive and multi-sensory displays, which are very easy to use.
Plan your visit
The trail and display features in the Galerie des Enfants are fully accessible to wheelchair users and visitors who have difficulty moving around.
Stools (without backs or armrests) and a few benches are placed at regular intervals in the exhibition area.
There are accessible lifts to all floors.
Please note: the cash desks in the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution have not yet been upgraded to comply with standards.
Individual visitors and families: there is not a visitors’ car park at the Jardin des Plantes, but there are several car parks in the surrounding area:
- Patriarches car park: 4, Place Bernard Halpern - Paris 5th arrondissement (a 10 minute walk from the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution)
- Quai d’Austerlitz car park: 29, quai d’Austerlitz - Paris 13th arrondissement (a 20 minute walk from the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution)
- Austerlitz Verrière car park: 85, quai d’Austerlitz - Paris 13th arrondissement >>Currently closed due to works
Groups: parking allowed by request only for a maximum of two PRM vehicles on the Jardin des Plantes premises. Requests must be made no later than 48 hours before the date of your visit to firstname.lastname@example.org
Bus: Lines with the nearest stop: 67, 89 (Buffon - La Mosquée stop) – Other lines: 24, 57, 61, 63, and 91
Batobus: Jardin des Plantes stop
Metro, RER: line 5 Austerlitz (the nearest) – line 7 Censier Daubenton – line 10 Jussieu or Austerlitz (the nearest) - RER C Gare d’Austerlitz
SNCF train station: Gare d’Austerlitz and Gare de Lyon
Transport accessibility information: infomobi.com
There is level access to the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution on a smooth concrete forecourt.
Two entrances can be used to access the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution:
- 36, rue Geoffroy Saint Hilaire: please note there is a small projection of less than 2 cm at the street entrance gate towards the forecourt. The pavement runs almost continuously up to this entrance from the Jussieu metro (one road to cross - Rue Cuvier). The "Buffon, la Mosquée" bus stop is also very near this entrance.
- through the Jardin des Plantes (download a PDF version of the Jardin des Plantes map at the bottom of the page)
The entrance doors are heavy to open, but a security guard is always on hand inside to help you if need be (the doors have glass in them so the guard can see the visitors outside).
When very busy, priority entrance (indicated by a sign) to the right of the main entrance (if you have booked for a tour, for example).
Reception staff are available upon your arrival. The reception desk is opposite the entrance. There are three lifts in the reception lobby serving the Muséum’s areas.
Please note: the top part of the reception desk is slightly higher than the regulatory requirements (83 cm instead of 80).
Inside the Galerie des Enfants, there is an assistant who greets visitors, shows them the exhibition and lends a helping hand if need be during their visit. The assistant is also there to answer any questions they may have.
Toilets in the Galerie des Enfants.
Accessible toilets on every floor in the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution.
Ground floor toilets in the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution can be used without needing to buy a ticket.
Food and drink
Cafeteria on the first floor of the Grande Galerie (access with admission ticket), with a view of the land animals.
Please note: the cash desk at the cafeteria is not a suitable height (112 cm high). Chairs with backs and no armrests.
Opening times and days
Every day from 10am to 6pm, except 25 December, 1st January, Tuesdays and 1st May
Events and activities – Prices
Assistant permanently on-site
There is always an assistant who has had disability awareness training in the Galerie des Enfants. He or she can briefly introduce the exhibition and the themes it addresses, answer your questions and those of your children, and on occasions help them use the exhibits.
Activities for individual visitors and families
To find out the activities in accessible places, download the Jardin des Plantes’s quarterly brochure at the bottom of the page.
Tickets and reservations for individual visitors and families on self-guided tours
Free admission for disabled visitors coming for an unaccompanied tour (without a guide) and for a companion, upon presentation of proof (disability or priority card).
Any additional companions buy their tickets at the current price.
Booking advisable on the online ticketing website (in French only).
Any vouchers for free tickets (and for free companion tickets too) obtained from the website must be presented at the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution reception centre with proof (disability or priority card), to get your admission tickets.
Tickets and reservations for individual visitors and families for activities with a guide
Prices for the activities on offer vary depending on the type of activity. To find out what they are, download the Jardin des Plantes’s quarterly brochure at the bottom of the page.
Educational activities for groups
The exhibition areas and certain workshops are accessible to groups of physically handicapped visitors, by reservation. Activity themes and useful information can be downloaded from the bottom of the page.
Tickets and reservations for pre-arranged groups on self-guided tours
Reservation required – Reservations service – email@example.com
Reservations for the Galerie des Enfants
- less than 10 participants / more than 10 participants: Reservation required* – €9 / group
*A headed letter from your institution requesting free admission for a disabled group must be presented at the ticket booth.
Tickets and reservations for pre-arranged groups on guided tours or for workshops
Reservation required – Reservations service – firstname.lastname@example.org
Less than 10 participants:
- Duration 1 hour: €7.60 /participant
- Duration 1 hr 30 mins: €10.10 /participant
10 participants or more:
- Duration 1 hour: €76 /group
- Duration 1 hr 30 mins: €101 /group
- Duration 2 hours: €136 /group
Documents for download
- Programme quadrimestriel du Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 12.38 MB)
- La Galerie des enfants accessible (in French only) (pdf, 263.58 KB)
- Plan intérieur de la Grande Galerie de l'Évolution (in French only) (pdf, 688.31 KB)
- Plan du Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 773.42 KB)
- Demande d'autorisation d'accès d'un véhicule dans le Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (doc, 37.5 KB)
- Plan d'accès d'un véhicule dans le Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 2.75 MB)