From South America to Asia, from our era to 540 million years back in time, the Grandes Serres at the Jardin des Plantes invite you on a journey through space and time.
The Grandes Serres
Renovated and with a newly designed museography, the Grandes Serres disseminate the most up-to-date knowledge about plants and raise awareness of fragile environments, whilst retaining their air of magic.
Take a walk through the four greenhouses and discover the huge variety of rare and abundant plants and the many astonishing ways in which they adapt to the different environments on land.
On a self-guided tour
There are various themes to explore, such as plant diversity, plants useful to Man, their adaptations to different environments (rainforests, deserts and arid environments), the notion of endemism (New Caledonia) and the History of plants (from when they came out of the water to the appearance of flowers).
Plan your visit
Even though the area has a relatively simple design (a long building), moving around the Grandes Serres requires support.
- access to the steps leading to the upper floor (New Caledonia Greenhouse) is through the "Rocher" entrance, part of which is rounded at head level and sticks out over the pathway (the Rocher is listed as a Historical Monument).
- the steps themselves have contrasting stair nosings, but are situated in a narrow passageway.
- the handrail which runs along the steps has integrated lighting which partially lights up the flight of stairs to compensate for the relative dimness of this passageway.
- at the top of the steps, a passageway can only be passed by using stepping stones. It is possible to hold onto a handrail when crossing it, but it is a very dimly-lit place.
Individual visitors and families: there is not a visitors’ car park at the Jardin des Plantes, but there are several car parks in the surrounding area:
- Patriarches car park: 4, Place Bernard Halpern - Paris 5th arrondissement (a 10 minute walk from the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution)
- Quai d’Austerlitz car park: 29, quai d’Austerlitz - Paris 13th arrondissement (a 20 minute walk from the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution)
- Austerlitz Verrière car park: 85, quai d’Austerlitz - Paris 13th arrondissement >>Currently closed due to works
Groups: parking allowed by request only for a maximum of two PRM vehicles on the Jardin des Plantes premises. Requests must be made no later than 48 hours before the date of your visit to email@example.com
Bus: 24, 57, 61, 63, 67, 89 and 91
Batobus: Jardin des Plantes stop
Metro, RER: line 5 Austerlitz (the nearest) – line 7 Censier Daubenton – line 10 Jussieu or Austerlitz (the nearest) - RER C Gare d’Austerlitz
SNCF train station: Gare d’Austerlitz and Gare de Lyon
Transport accessibility information: infomobi.com
Access to the Grandes Serres is through the Jardin des Plantes (download map at the bottom of the page).
Nearest entrance: 40, rue Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire – 75005 Paris
The assistants at the Grandes Serres cash desk are available if you would like any information.
There are no toilets in the Grandes Serres.
The nearest toilets are situated in:
- The Jardin: toilet cubicles at the main entrance to the Ménagerie (download map of the Jardin at the bottom of the page).
- The Grande Galerie de l’Évolution, in the entrance hall, no ticket required for access.
Food and drink
Several food stands selling sandwiches, drinks and sweets are dotted around the Jardin.
There are several picnic areas with tables and chairs available for visitors.
It is possible to have a picnic on the lawn next to the Tropical Greenhouses (visitors are not allowed on the other lawns).
Cafeteria on the first floor of the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution – access with admission ticket specifically for the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution, with a view of the land animals.
Opening times and days
Open every day, except Tuesdays, 25 December, 1st January and 1st May.
- 10am to 6pm until 30 September 2016.
- 10am to 5pm from 1st October 2016 to 31 March 2017
Events and activities – Prices
Activities for individual visitors and families
To find out the activities available for everyone, download the Jardin des Plantes’s quarterly brochure at the bottom of the page.
Tickets and reservations for individual visitors and families on self-guided tours
Free admission for disabled visitors coming for an unaccompanied tour (without a guide) and for a companion, upon presentation of proof (disability or priority card).
Any additional companions buy their tickets at the current price.
Booking not required for unaccompanied tours.
Tickets and reservations for individual visitors and families for activities with a guide
Prices for the activities available for everyone vary depend on the type of activity. To find out what they are, download the Jardin des Plantes’s quarterly brochure at the bottom of the page.
Educational activities for groups
No guided tours suitable for mentally handicapped visitors in the Grandes Serres.
"Standard" guided tours can be followed: see Educational activities for groups brochure at the bottom of the page.
Tickets and reservations for pre-arranged groups on self-guided tours
Reservation required – Reservations service – firstname.lastname@example.org
Reservations for the Grandes Serres du Jardin des Plantes
- Less than 10 participants: No reservation required *
- More than 10 participants: Reservation required – €9 / group
* A headed letter from your institution requesting free admission for a disabled group must be presented at the ticket booth. It is also advisable to let the Jardin des Plantes reception service know in advance that you are coming to the Grande Serres (Tél. +33(0)1 40 79 56 01).
Tickets and reservations for pre-arranged groups on guided tours or for workshops
Reservation required – Reservations service – email@example.com
Less than 10 participants:
- Duration 1 hour: €7.60 /participant
- Duration 1 hr 30 mins: €10.10 /participant
10 participants or more:
- Duration 1 hour: €76 /group
- Duration 1 hr 30 mins: €101 /group
- Duration 2 hours: €136 /group
Documents for download
- Programme quadrimestriel du Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 12.38 MB)
- Plan des Grandes Serres (in French only) (pdf, 2.03 MB)
- Plan du Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 773.42 KB)
- Demande d'autorisation d'accès d'un véhicule dans le Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (doc, 37.5 KB)
- Plan d'accès d'un véhicule dans le Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 2.75 MB)