The Galerie des Enfants, a family or group experience, accessible to everyone.
Special attention has been paid to disabled children here, which means much of the trail is accessible to everyone. A sensory trail allows visually-impaired children to understand the different themes, through sculptures of animals and fun and educational contoured exhibits accompanied with Braille. All the writing in the exhibition is in large print. A set of audiovisual aids is subtitled in writing and translated into the French sign language for children who are deaf or hard of hearing. The exhibition is accessible to mentally handicapped children, thanks to its practical, interactive and multi-sensory displays, which are very easy to use.
Plan your visit
A whole host of fun, interactive and easy to use exhibits are accessible to mentally handicapped children.
The Galerie des Enfants is simple to find your way around, being a large space divided into three themed areas- the Town, the River and the Rainforest. These three themed areas are clearly identifiable visually thanks to colour coding, symbols and very distinctive and specific furniture for each theme.
A mezzanine overlooks this area and is based on the theme of the Planet and sustainable development.
Please note: the Galerie des Enfants is quite a noisy area at peak times.
Individual visitors and families: there is not a visitors’ car park at the Jardin des Plantes, but there are several car parks in the surrounding area:
- Patriarches car park: 4, Place Bernard Halpern - Paris 5th arrondissement (a 10 minute walk from the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution)
- Quai d’Austerlitz car park: 29, quai d’Austerlitz - Paris 13th arrondissement (a 20 minute walk from the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution)
- Austerlitz Verrière car park: 85, quai d’Austerlitz - Paris 13th arrondissement >>Currently closed due to works
Groups: parking allowed by request only for a maximum of two PRM vehicles on the Jardin des Plantes premises. Requests must be made no later than 48 hours before the date of your visit to email@example.com
Bus: Lines with the nearest stop: 67, 89 (Buffon - La Mosquée stop) – Other lines: 24, 57, 61, 63, and 91
Batobus: Jardin des Plantes stop
Metro, RER: line 5 Austerlitz (the nearest) – line 7 Censier Daubenton – line 10 Jussieu or Austerlitz (the nearest) - RER C Gare d’Austerlitz
SNCF train station: Gare d’Austerlitz and Gare de Lyon
Transport accessibility information: infomobi.com
The Galerie des Enfants is located in the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution.
Two entrances can be used to access the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution:
- direct access from 36, rue Geoffroy Saint Hilaire
- access through the Jardin des Plantes (download Jardin des Plantes map at the bottom of the page)
When very busy, priority entrance (indicated by a sign) to the right of the main entrance (if you have booked for a tour, for example).
Reception assistants are available if you would like any information.
Toilets in the Galerie des Enfants.
Accessible toilets on every floor in the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution.
Ground floor toilets in the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution can be used without needing to buy a ticket.
Food and drink
Cafeteria on the first floor of the Grande Galerie (access with admission ticket), with a view of the land animals.
Several food stands selling sandwiches, drinks and sweets are dotted around the Jardin.
There are several picnic areas with tables and chairs available for visitors.
It is possible to have a picnic on the lawn next to the Grandes Serres of the Jardin des Plantes (visitors are not allowed on the other lawns).
Opening times and days
Every day from 10am to 6pm, except Tuesdays and 1st May
Events and activities – Prices
Assistant permanently on-site
There is always an assistant who has had disability awareness training in the Galerie des Enfants. He or she can briefly introduce the exhibition and the themes it addresses, answer your questions and those of your children, and on occasions help them use the exhibits.
Activities for individual visitors and families
To find out the activities available in the accessible sites, download the Jardin des Plantes’s quarterly brochure at the bottom of the page.
Tickets and reservations for individual visitors and families on self-guided tours
Free admission for disabled visitors coming for an unaccompanied tour (without a guide) and for a companion, upon presentation of proof (disability or priority card).
Any additional companions buy their tickets at the current price.
You are strongly advised to book on the online ticketing website (in French only).
Any vouchers for free tickets (and for free companion tickets too) obtained from the website must be presented at the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution reception centre with proof (disability or priority card), to get your admission tickets.
Tickets and reservations for individual visitors and families for activities with a guide
Prices for the activities on offer vary depending on the type of activity. To find out what they are, download the Jardin des Plantes’s quarterly brochure at the bottom of the page.
Educational activities for groups
No guided tours in the Galerie des Enfants.
Tickets and reservations for pre-arranged groups on self-guided tours
Reservation required – Reservations service – firstname.lastname@example.org
Reservations for the Galerie des Enfants
- less than 10 participants / more than 10 participants: Reservation required* – €9 / group
* A headed letter from your institution requesting free admission for a disabled group must be presented at the cash desk.
Tickets and reservations for pre-arranged groups on guided tours or for workshops
Reservation required – Reservations service – email@example.com
Less than 10 participants:
- Duration 1 hour: €7.60 /participant
- Duration 1 hr 30 mins: €10.10 /participant
10 participants or more:
- Duration 1 hour: €76 /group
- Duration 1 hr 30 mins: €101 /group
- Duration 2 hours: €136 /group
Documents for download
- Programme quadrimestriel du Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 12.38 MB)
- La Galerie des enfants accessible (in French only) (pdf, 263.58 KB)
- Plan intérieur de la Grande Galerie de l'Évolution (in French only) (pdf, 688.31 KB)
- Plan du Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 773.42 KB)
- Demande d'autorisation d'accès d'un véhicule dans le Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (doc, 37.5 KB)
- Plan d'accès d'un véhicule dans le Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 2.75 MB)