Like a theatre of life, the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution presents thousands of animal specimens. True to life, they tell the amazing story of evolution - a story in three acts, played out in a majestic setting.
A Gallery in three acts
Act I, the first part of the permanent exhibition, is performed on the ground floor and first floor of the central nave in the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution. Here, you come face-to-face with the wide variety of animal species which populate the sea and land environments.
Act II relates two adventures: the journey of living organisms evolving over the course of Earth’s history and the journey of the human spirit trying to understand its origins through the process of life.
On the second floor balcony of the nave, Act III shows how human activities have changed the natural environment, sometimes irreversibly.
Plan your visit
The vast majority of the things to see and visit in the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution are visual.
However, some exhibits have an audio tape, but are not sub-titled in the French Sign Language or in writing.
Most of the multimedia interactive exhibits do not have sound, just a visual interface.
- the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution is a relatively noisy place at peak times which might prove troublesome for people with hearing aids.
- there is no induction loop in the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution, as the building’s metal structure prevents it from working properly.
- the Grande Galerie is dimly-lit which means it is not very easy to lip-read.
Individual visitors and families: there is not a visitors’ car park at the Jardin des Plantes, but there are several car parks in the surrounding area:
- Patriarches car park: 4, Place Bernard Halpern - Paris 5th arrondissement (a 10 minute walk from the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution)
- Quai d’Austerlitz car park: 29, quai d’Austerlitz - Paris 13th arrondissement (a 20 minute walk from the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution)
- Austerlitz Verrière car park: 85, quai d’Austerlitz - Paris 13th arrondissement >>Currently closed due to works
Groups: parking allowed by request only for a maximum of two PRM vehicles on the Jardin des Plantes premises. Requests must be made no later than 48 hours before the date of your visit to email@example.com
Bus: Lines with the nearest stop: 67, 89 (Buffon - La Mosquée stop) – Other lines: 24, 57, 61, 63, and 91
Batobus: Jardin des Plantes stop
Metro, RER: line 5 Austerlitz (the nearest) – line 7 Censier Daubenton – line 10 Jussieu or Austerlitz (the nearest) - RER C Gare d’Austerlitz
SNCF train station: Gare d’Austerlitz and Gare de Lyon
Transport accessibility information: infomobi.com
Two entrances can be used to access the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution:
- direct access from 36, rue Geoffroy Saint Hilaire
- access through the Jardin des Plantes (download Jardin des Plantes map at the bottom of the page)
When very busy, priority entrance (indicated by a sign) to the right of the main entrance (if you have booked for a tour, for example).
The reception staff at the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution do not know the French Sign Language and have not received lip-reading training.
However, they are there to help if you need any information. Please let them know if there is another communication method you could use (writing in a notebook, lip-reading, etc.).
There is no induction loop in the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution, as the building’s metal structure prevents it from working properly.
Toilets on every floor in the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution.
Ground floor toilets can be used without needing to buy a ticket.
Food and drink
Cafeteria on the first floor of the Grande Galerie (access with admission ticket), with a view of the land animals.
Several food stands selling sandwiches, drinks and sweets are dotted around the Jardin.
There are several picnic areas with tables and chairs available for visitors.
It is possible to have a picnic on the lawn next to the Grandes Serres (visitors are not allowed on the other lawns).
Opening times and days
Every day from 10am to 6pm, except Tuesdays and 1st May
Last admission 45 minutes before closing.
Events and activities – Prices
Activities for individual visitors and families
To find out the activities available for everyone, download the Jardin des Plantes’s quarterly brochure at the bottom of the page.
Please note: the activities for everyone are not translated into Sign Languages or written down, unless otherwise specified.
FSL guided tours available on specific dates (around once a month).
Tickets and reservations for individual visitors and families on self-guided tours
Free admission for disabled visitors coming for an unaccompanied tour (without a guide) and for a companion, upon presentation of proof (disability or priority card).
Any additional companions buy their tickets at the current price.
Booking not required for unaccompanied tours.
Tickets and reservations for individual visitors and families for activities with a guide
Prices for the activities available for everyone vary depending on the type of activity.
To find out what they are, download the Jardin des Plantes’s quarterly brochure at the bottom of the page.
Guided tours in the French Sign Language are free.
Educational activities for groups
Guided tours and workshops in the French Sign Language.
Download the brochure of educational activities accessible for groups at the bottom of the page.
It is possible to respond to requests for lip-reading tours.
However, please be aware that the Grande Galerie is very dimly lit, which does not make this method of communication between a guide and a group of several people very easy.
Tickets and reservations for pre-arranged groups on self-guided tours
Reservation required – Reservations service – firstname.lastname@example.org
Reservations for permanent Galleries and temporary exhibitions:
- Less than 10 participants: No reservation required*
- More than 10 participants: Reservation required – €9 / group
*A headed letter from your institution requesting free admission for a disabled group must be presented at the cash desk.
Tickets and reservations for pre-arranged groups on guided tours or for workshops
Reservation required – Reservations service – email@example.com
Less than 10 participants:
- Duration 1 hour: €7.60 /participant
- Duration 1 hr 30 mins: €10.10 /participant
10 participants or more:
- Duration 1 hour: €76 /group
- Duration 1 hr 30 mins: €101 /group
- Duration 2 hours: €136 /group
Documents for download
- Programme quadrimestriel du Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 12.38 MB)
- Plan intérieur de la Grande Galerie de l'Évolution (in French only) (pdf, 688.31 KB)
- Plan du Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 773.42 KB)
- Demande d'autorisation d'accès d'un véhicule dans le Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (doc, 37.5 KB)
- Plan d'accès d'un véhicule dans le Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 2.75 MB)