Beneath a magnificent cupola, the Grand Amphithéâtre du Muséum is arranged with traditional tiered seating. Seven rows of seats, five sections in all, and four stairways converge front and centre to face the large fume hood that still bears Fortin’s allegory of science. The lecture hall offers seating for 350. Renovated in 2003, the hall is dedicated to scientific and cultural communications: classes, lectures, symposia, etc.
The Muséum invites you to meet its researchers. Talks, public lectures, debates and screenings are all events accessible to everyone or by reservation at the Muséum’s Grand Amphithéâtre or in the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution auditorium.
Plan your visit
The Grand Amphithéâtre du Muséum is not specifically laid out for directing visually impaired visitors. That is why it is advisable to come with a companion.
Individual visitors and families: there is not a visitors’ car park at the Jardin des Plantes, but there are several car parks in the surrounding area:
- Patriarches car park: 4, Place Bernard Halpern - Paris 5th arrondissement (a 10 minute walk from the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution)
- Quai d’Austerlitz car park: 29, quai d’Austerlitz - Paris 13th arrondissement (a 20 minute walk from the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution)
- Austerlitz Verrière car park: 85, quai d’Austerlitz - Paris 13th arrondissement >>Currently closed due to works
Groups: parking allowed by request only for a maximum of two PRM vehicles on the Jardin des Plantes premises. Requests must be made to email@example.com
Bus: 24, 57, 61, 63, 67, 89 and 91
Batobus: Jardin des Plantes stop
Metro, RER: line 5 Austerlitz (the nearest) – line 7 Censier Daubenton – line 10 Jussieu or Austerlitz (the nearest) - RER C Gare d’Austerlitz
SNCF train station: Gare d’Austerlitz and Gare de Lyon
Transport accessibility information: infomobi.com
Access to the Muséum’s Grand Amphithéâtre is through the Jardin des Plantes (download map at the bottom of the page).
- nearest access at 57, rue Cuvier: after entering, the Grand Amphithéâtre is on your left (download PDF version of the Jardin des Plantes map at the bottom of the page)
Once you are in the building, there are places for wheelchair users at the foot of the tiered seating opposite the speaker. Access at the bottom, on the left as you enter the building.
The Grand Amphithéâtre du Muséum reception desk is open during debates and talks and is located at the entrance to the building, on the left.
Toilets are in the corridor which curves around the amphitheatre’s main hall.
Food and drink
Several food stands selling sandwiches, drinks and sweets are dotted around the Jardin (please note: the stand counters are not all of an accessible height).
There are several picnic areas with tables and chairs available for visitors.
It is possible to have a picnic on the lawn next to the Grandes Serres at the Jardin des Plantes (visitors are not allowed on the other lawns).
Cafeteria accessible on the first floor of the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution - access with admission ticket specifically for the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution. Chairs with backs and no armrests.
Opening times and days
Opening times and days vary according to the activities on offer.
See the Jardin des Plantes’s quarterly brochure at the bottom of the page.
Events and activities – Prices
Activities for individual visitors and families
To find out the activities available for everyone, download the Jardin des Plantes’s quarterly brochure at the bottom of the page.
Buying tickets, prices and bookings for individual visitors and families
Download the Jardin des Plantes’s quarterly brochure at the bottom of the page.
Documents for download
- Programme quadrimestriel du Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 12.38 MB)
- Plan du Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 773.42 KB)
- Demande d'autorisation d'accès d'un véhicule dans le Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (doc, 37.5 KB)
- Plan d'accès d'un véhicule dans le Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 2.75 MB)