Special attention has been paid to disabled children here, which means much of the trail is accessible to everyone. The Galerie des Enfants, a wonderful experience to share as a family or group.
15 full-scale bronze animal sculptures are installed in the different eco-systems, free for everyone to see and touch. They are mini information centres and gateways to each environment: for the city, a rat, a sparrow, a pigeon, a cockroach and a cat; for the river, an eel, a carp, a pike-perch, a mallard duck and the wate shrew; for the rainforest, a titan (giant insect), a pit viper, a frog and a spider monkey; and for the planet, a baby Indian elephant. Each one has a corian plate with contoured designs setting the animal in question in its context.
The plates are accompanied by writing in Braile.
Please note: only the animal sculptures and the contoured plates can be touched. Visitors are not allowed to touch the stuffed specimens.
Also, all the writing in the exhibition is in large-print on a contrasting background.
Plan your visit
The Galerie des Enfants is not specifically laid out for directing visually-impaired children around the area. That is why it is advisable to accompany them. They can, however, be relatively independent when playing with most of the tactile exhibits, once they are in front of them.
Stools (without backs or armrests) and a few benches are placed at regular intervals in the exhibition area.
The upper floors can be accessed by the stairs or the lift.
Individual visitors and families: there is not a visitors’ car park at the Jardin des Plantes, but there are several car parks in the surrounding area:
- Patriarches car park: 4, Place Bernard Halpern - Paris 5th arrondissement (a 10 minute walk from the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution)
- Quai d’Austerlitz car park: 29, quai d’Austerlitz - Paris 13th arrondissement (a 20 minute walk from the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution)
- Austerlitz Verrière car park: 85, quai d’Austerlitz - Paris 13th arrondissement >>Currently closed due to works
Groups: parking allowed by request only for a maximum of two PRM vehicles on the Jardin des Plantes premises. Requests must be made to firstname.lastname@example.org
Bus: Lines with the nearest stop: 67, 89 (Buffon - La Mosquée stop) – Other lines: 24, 57, 61, 63, and 91
Batobus: Jardin des Plantes stop
Metro, RER: line 5 Austerlitz (the nearest) – line 7 Censier Daubenton – line 10 Jussieu or Austerlitz (the nearest) - RER C Gare d’Austerlitz
SNCF train station: Gare d’Austerlitz and Gare de Lyon
Transport accessibility information: infomobi.com
The Galerie des Enfants is located in the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution.
Two entrances can be used to access the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution:
- 36, rue Geoffroy Saint Hilaire: please note there is a small projection of less than 2 cm at the street entrance gate towards the forecourt. The pavement runs almost continuously up to this entrance from the Jussieu metro (one road to cross - Rue Cuvier). The "Buffon, la Mosquée" bus stop is also very near this entrance.
- through the Jardin des Plantes (download a PDF version of the Jardin des Plantes map at the bottom of the page)
When very busy, priority entrance (indicated by a sign) to the right of the main entrance (if you have booked for a tour, for example).
Reception staff are available upon your arrival in the Grande Galerie de l’Evolution. The reception desk is opposite the entrance and the cash desks are on your left.
Inside the Galerie des Enfants, there is an assistant who greets visitors, shows them the exhibition and lends a helping hand if need be during their visit. The assistant is also there to answer any questions they may have.
Toilets in the Galerie des Enfants.
Accessible toilets on every floor in the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution.
Ground floor toilets in the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution can be used without needing to buy a ticket.
Food and drink
Cafeteria accessible on the first floor of the Grande Galerie (access with admission ticket).
Chairs with backs and no armrests.
Several food stands selling sandwiches, drinks and sweets are dotted around the Jardin.
There are several picnic areas with tables and chairs available for visitors.
It is possible to have a picnic on the lawn next to the Tropical Greenhouses (visitors are not allowed on the other lawns).
Opening times and days
Every day from 10am to 6pm, except Tuesdays and 1st May
Events and activities – Prices
Assistant permanently on-site
There is always an assistant who has had disability awareness training in the Galerie des Enfants. He or she can briefly introduce the exhibition and the themes it addresses, answer your questions and those of your children, and on occasions help them use the exhibits.
Activities for individual visitors and families
To find out the activities on offer for everyone, download the Muséum’s quarterly brochure at the bottom of the page (in PDF version).
Some specific tours are available on specific dates. Information : +33(0)1 40 79 56 01 (general reception) or email@example.com
Please note: only the animal sculptures can be touched. Visitors are not allowed to touch the stuffed specimens.
Tickets and reservations for individual visitors and families on self-guided tours
Free admission for disabled visitors coming for an unaccompanied tour (without a guide) and for a companion, upon presentation of proof (disability or priority card).
Any additional companions buy their tickets at the current price.
You are strongly advised to book on the online ticketing website (in French only).
Any vouchers for free tickets (and for free companion tickets too) obtained from the website must be presented at the Grande Galerie de l’Évolution reception centre with proof (disability or priority card), to get your admission tickets.
Tickets and reservations for individual visitors and families for activities with a guide
Prices for the activities on offer vary depending on the type of activity. To find out what they are, download the Jardin des Plantes’s quarterly brochure at the bottom of the page.
Educational activities for groups
The exhibition areas and certain workshops are accessible to groups of visually-impaired visitors, by reservation. Activity themes and useful information can be downloaded from the bottom of the page.
Tickets and reservations for pre-arranged groups on self-guided tours
Reservation required – Reservations service – firstname.lastname@example.org
Reservations for the Galerie des Enfants
- less than 10 participants / more than 10 participants: Reservation required* – €9 / group
* A headed letter from your institution requesting free admission for a disabled group must be presented at the cash desk.
Tickets and reservations for pre-arranged groups on guided tours or for workshops
Reservation required – Reservations service – email@example.com
Less than 10 participants:
- Duration 1 hour: €7.60 /participant
- Duration 1 hr 30 mins: €10.10 /participant
10 participants or more:
- Duration 1 hour: €76 /group
- Duration 1 hr 30 mins: €101 /group
- Duration 2 hours: €136 /group
Documents for download
- Programme quadrimestriel du Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 12.38 MB)
- La Galerie des Enfants accessible (in French only) (pdf, 263.58 KB)
- Plan intérieur de la Grande Galerie de l'Évolution (in French only) (pdf, 688.31 KB)
- Plan du Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 773.42 KB)
- Demande d'autorisation d'accès d'un véhicule dans le Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (doc, 37.5 KB)
- Plan d'accès d'un véhicule dans le Jardin des Plantes (in French only) (pdf, 2.75 MB)